CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 17, 2011

Cloth Diaper Supplies

I was a little surprised by the extras that make cloth diapers a little easier. What's that? You don't just need diapers?? Crazy, I know. Actually, most of what is recommended prevents bigger messes, less odor and help your diapers last longer. So, unless any of that sounds like a negative thing to you, keep reading.

Obviously, you need the diapers, but what else?

Diaper Pail Liner or Hanging Diaper "Pail" (sometimes referred to as an extra large "wet/dry bag")-

Sure, you could use an empty trash can and it would work just fine, but with a liner you don't have to reach in and scrub grime out of a trash can you can just toss it in the wash. I use a Kissaluvs pail liner and absolutely love it. I wash it about once every two weeks or more frequently depending on if I notice an odor. You could go for a hanging diaper pail option. The problem with plastic (as in a plastic trash can) is that eventually it will absorb odors and will always stink. The hanging pail option allows air to flow so odors don't build up and you just toss it in the wash with the diapers each wash. At least that's the idea. The down side is where to put it and the bulk/clutter. Either option you choose, if you have the means you should buy two so you have somewhere to place your diapers while you wait for it to wash and dry.
Wet Bag-

Wet bags are a lifesaver when you're not at home. A diaper bag essential, wet bags are used to store diapers instead of tossing them directly into your diaper bag (yuck). I scored a free one from Maxwell Designs in a giveaway and I don't know how I would survive without it. Wet bags are also fabulous for other items like soiled clothes, wet swimsuits, and basically anything else you don't want ruining your diaper bag contents. I would recommend one for anyone--not just cloth diaper using moms!
Cloth Wipes:

While these aren't essential, they are completely logical and I can't recommend them more. When I first started using cloth diapers, I was still using disposable wipes and it never made sense to need to toss messy wipes in the trash by themselves. Maybe it was just the habit of wrapping dirty wipes in the diaper before throwing it away, but I found myself longing for cloth wipes. However, have you priced the cloth wipes out there? It's like some kind of joke! They are so expensive. I made my own (tutorial coming soon), but those super cheap baby wash cloths and other materials can be used instead. I was shocked by how much I loved cloth wipes when I tried them. Mine are soft flannel and just patting Baby Ruffle's bottom seems a more gentle and easy clean up. In fact, my husband (he might hurt me if I call him Daddy Ruffles) commented that he believed they were far more effective in wiping up poop. I quickly agreed. He was right! They work so well I felt like I had discovered some kind of big parenting secret--the miracle of cloth wipes! Try them. You'll love them. (note: I still think disposable wipes are wonderful for cleaning up messes on the go, etc. )
Drying Rack and/or Clothes Line-

Air drying your diaper covers is not only highly recommended by manufacturers, but can significantly extend the life of your diapers. You can use either a drying rack, clothes line or both. I live in a fairly rainy climate so I cloths line isn't the best option for me 90% of the time. I picked up a cheap-o drying rack and it is great. I can do a load of diapers at night and they are dry by morning. A clothes line is nice for sunning diapers and inserts to remove stains and costs just a few dollars. This is definitely an essential purchase.
Diaper Liners-

Diaper liners can either be disposable or reusable cloth. The disposable liners are great because you can simply flush soiled liners and if they are just wet, they can be washed, dried and reused. Liners make it possible to use non-cloth diaper safe rash creams, too. While definitely not essential to using cloth diapers, they can be useful!
Cloth Diaper Safe Rash Cream-

Diaper rashes are inevitable. You're going to need to find a great rash cream that's also safe for your cloth diapers. The price tags on most of these rash creams aren't small, but when you consider the alternative of purchasing disposable diapers it's the more frugal option.
 Cloth Diaper Safe Detergent-

Speaking of products safe for cloth diapers, finding a good detergent is essential. Rockin' Green (pictured above) is a favorite of several moms with rave reviews about the wonderful scents offered, but there are many options available. Most online retailers have an entire section of natural laundry soaps. It's worth the investment. You want a detergent that won't cause build up so you don't have to strip your diapers. Stripping is a hassle and means more wear and tear on your diapers. Here is a recipe for a homemade detergent that is safe for cloth diapers.
Diaper Sprayer-

This one would be a definite investment, since they run about $40-50. A diaper sprayer is essentially a glorified kitchen sprayer that attaches to the toilet to spray poop where it belongs--in the toilet. This cloth diaper accessory is considered essential by many, not just a luxury.

0 comments:

Post a Comment